Saturday 2 May 2015

Day 21: Into Grants just before the rain!

Mileage: 16.2 miles (414.3-430.5)

Well, it started a little rough this morning at 3:45am when the nearly full moon shone so brightly I couldn't sleep. I figured I had to wake up in 45 minutes anyways, so misewell just get going.


Once it got light, I listened to some reruns of "This American Life" as I walked the road - these road walks are the one time I'll allow myself to dissociate from the trail some by listening to music or a podcast. I can easily be distracted and let my thoughts wander on a trail, but 16 miles of straight concrete is a different story. Looking back on it now, just 12 hours later, the whole walk and even night before feels like an elaborate dream - the type where you're an actor in the dream, but also realize you're dreaming while it happens. 

After FaceTiming with Laura for 45 minutes, I crossed I-40 and found the blessing of my day - a Subway sandwich shop attached to the Shell gas station. I ordered a footlong breakfast sandwich (with my first bacon in years) and devoured the thing in minutes. My text to Laura read, "Subway breakfast has literally, in all of it's existence, NEVER TASTED SO GOOD!"

Three minutes later I texted, "I feel very sick and still need to walk 8 more miles." I flipped on an old-time TAL episode (since I had 3G) and then some Sylvan Esso pandora and cranked out the last miles. With the help of a ride to the post office, I made it there by 11am, in time to send my bounce box to the next town, Cuba, NM.

As I miserably made the 2.5 mile walk back to the strip of hotels, I saw Maniac yelling at me from across the street at El Cafecito Mexican restaurant. He and Karma had just finished lunch and we all walked back to the hotel together.

They had arrived yesterday and were talking about splitting a room four ways to save money, but I had them count me out - I was getting my own KING SIZE bed for the first time on the trip. After three thirty mile days in a row, I needed it. We ate at Asian Buffet (I know, this was the name of the restaurant!) and now am soaking in a tub full of Epsom salts, ready for a goodnight sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment