Wednesday 2 September 2015

Day 127: Finally to East Glacier

Mileage: 26 miles (2431.7-2457.7)

After camping under the bridge we walked the twelve miles into Browning, our first town on the reservation. It was known as dodgy and sketchy at night, where dogs roamed the streets during the day and anything could happen at night. I figured it really wasn't that bad and when we got there, I realized it was more sad than anything else.


It was more sad than anything - with all the businesses either boarded up or with metal bars guarding their windows and doors. At 10am lines were forming outside the liquor stores, with Blackfeet men looking withered beyond their years.

We stopped at the one diner in town and almost instantly realized we'd made a mistake. We were one of two parties in the diner and the only one, after the other group left, grumbling, "too slow!"

The place was clean enough, it was just that the waitress took about 15 minutes to take our order and then came back to retake it after 15 more minutes when the other guys arrived. I asked for water and she brought one for everybody except me. Then she forgot our coffees, didn't bring order at all when she brought the others, and then when I asked about it, told me another waitress was going to get mushrooms for my omelet at the store. I told her as politely as I could that I didn't care what kind of omelet they gave me, but please, just bring me some food.


Eventually, after about an hour, the food came, we inhaled it and then me and King David went to Taco John's to get a burrito for the road.

I was tired of waiting for everyone and everything so I pushed on. The headwinds were gusting at more than 50 mph, the strongest we'd faced in days. Commando almost died when an RV blew a tire and it almost hit him as he walked at 75 mph. We all dodged off the road, afraid for our lives, but luckly everyone was okay.  

Sanjay, King David, and I formed a line and broke the wind for each other, while the others pushed on ahead. Rain began to spit in our faces as we got closer to town. When we got to East Glacier, we were greeted by Banjo, who'd injured his ankle on the walk in and had to hitch. There were also a couple other hikers at the hostel, Toast and Lot who'd finished and Malarky, who'd been waiting for us.


We all had a big dinner at Serrano's Mexican restaurant, did laundry, and drank beers at the hostel. I fell asleep early with the lights on and the other guys still partying. We'd be leaving tomorrow and I needed rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment