Friday 11 September 2015

Day 136: Crossing into CANADA!!!

Mileage: 12 miles (2575.4-2587.5)


After a restless sleep, I woke up a bit before 7am. Malarky took off shortly before I did, and I left before Commando. It was good to finish alone: to collect my final thoughts and say goodbye to the trail. I realized the magic of the trail was fading, that by the time you get to saying farewell, the best part was already gone. Just seven more miles to the border and in that moment, they couldn't come too soon. I took a picture of my final camp and the lake and moved on without too much ceremony.


I was anxious. Very anxious. Yet beauty still surrounded me as I pressed closer and closer to my five-month goal. I reached Goat Haunt Ranger station and the head of Waterton Lake. I could literally see Canada just a few miles away. It was still too early for the ranger to be at his post, so I just walked by the buildings, which seemed out of place in the wilderness of the night before. I reflected on my hike, but mostly just thought about being finished walking. I was ready to be done.


Gentle hills rose and dropped as the trail meandered along the lake. The sun was bright and the sky was blue as the day before. Somehow, I was finishing on a nice day, which was really the last thing I expected after so many days of sleet, rain, bitter cold, and snow. I saw some big piles of bear scat and wondered if I'd really make it through some of the densest bear country in the Continental US without seeing a Grizz.


And then I saw it: not a bear, but a dock with a person on it and a clearing just around the next bend. It had to be the monument. As I got closer, I realized there were actually two monuments, miniature obelisks marking the official US-Canadian border along the 49th parallel. A swath of trees was cleared along the entire border, making you wonder if there was a yellow line on the bottom of Waterton Lake as it crossed.


I was silent as I approached the marker, not screaming or jumping for joy as this isn't what I felt like doing. I just collapsed on the obelisk, hugging it in relief. I couldn't believe it had been nearly five months since I'd started. Mexico and April felt so far away. I was so naive and anxious back then. Now, I just felt tired and ready to sleep. Ready to lounge. Ready to do nothing.


After a few minutes of silence with the monuments, I walked down to the dock and told Malarky congrats. He'd finished his Triple Crown, completing the Pacific Crest, Appalachian, and now the Continental Divide Trail. It was quite a feat, which only a few hundred others had ever done. He was perhaps the first from Northern Ireland.


It was a warm morning in the sun and I decided to jump in the lake. I figured there wasn't a better way to feel really alive and take my first bath in Canada. Malarky took a picture for me and I quickly swam back to the dock after plunging in the icy water. We waited for Commando as I dried in the sun. The lake was freezing, but the air was mild and I didn't shiver. Kasey's dad showed up first with a CDT t-shirt and two beers for me and Malarky. 


Then Commando wandered up, followed shortly by my mom with my dog Cooper. I was proud that my mom had made the four mile trek, as I was a bit worried about her and my dog. I saw she had brought bear spray, and I was glad after I saw how much bear scat I'd seen in the last few hours.


We posed for all kids of photos at the monument, finished our beers, and swigs of Champagne that Commando had requested. Malarky left first and we followed shortly thereafter. Though we were done, we still had a long four-mile walk to the car. My mom was moving slow and Commando took his Dad's pack. I had Cooper strapped to my waist and he tugged and pulled anxious to chase after every smell. I couldn't let him off though, as I was sure he would try to play with a bear or whatever else he found.


When we finally reached the trailhead my om didn't know where she parked. That was pretty routine, but we eventually found it. We got food at a bar, including some Poutine, Quebec's gut busting combination of fries, covered in gravy and cheese curds, along with some beers. Laura had surprised me by scheduling a massage. My muscles were a bit tender, but it still felt nice.
Notice the border line, clearcut of trees, across Waterton Lake

My mom and I took a look at the Prince of Wales hotel, a historic lodging overlooking Waterton Lak and then went to the Super 8 north of town. 


I looked at book about the Great Divide Trail, which continued from the Canadian border 800 miles to the north of Jasper. Maybe it would be my next adventure. It really hadn't sunk in yet that I finished and I wasn't sure it would for a long time. That night I slept with my dog Cooper by my side and dreampt of worlds to come.

Me, mom, and Cooper. She drove all the way from Nebraska!

No comments:

Post a Comment