Thursday 6 August 2015

Day 100: Past Highway 26 and North into the Teton Wilderness

Mileage: 28.9 miles (1795.7-1824.6)


I got started a little after seven after some oatmeal and granola. I found if I heated them both together I could stomach it. I I walked up and down through trailess meadows - I spent probably more time off the trail bushwacking than actually following it. Every time it hit a low spot, the trail just disappeared, almost on cue, in a bog.


I talked to my mom on the phone and it was nice to hear her voice after a few weeks. I'd spent a week with my dad and felt guilty I hadn't even called my mom. Apparentally my brother had been offered a tech job ten months in advance and they would be paying him more than my mom made currently, somewhere in the six figures. Needless to say, my mom would be having him paying his car insurance and cell phone bill from now on.


My mom seemed to be doing well spending lots of time out in the garden. She put our dog Coop on the phone but he didn't seem to recognize my voice. I think smell does it for dogs. She'd be joining me in about a month up in Glacier to pick me up at the finish and do some day hikes while she was at it. I was happy she would be there when I finished - it feels like it will be a big moment in my life, assuming I get there.

A little before noon I got to Highway 26 and after having my mom give me the lowdown, I decided to hitch over to Togwotee Mountain Lodge for lunch. I got a ride after twenty minutes and had a big burger with fries, a beer, and some chips & salsa. I met a guy at the bar who was a dog musher for them during the winter and we talked over lunch. He had spent time in Alaska dog mushing and had some interesting stories. He also was interested in the PCT so we talked a bit about gear and hiking stuff. After we finished he offered me a ride back to the pass, which was awesome.


A lot of climbing out of the highway off to Brooks Lake, where I passed the all-inclusive, no dirty hikers allowed (unless you pay $350 per night) Brooks Lake Lodge, complete with rustic log cabins, canoes, a fancy restaurant, and a stable full of horses. It was actually quite pretty but I opted to fill my water at the campground nearby and headed up the Upper Brooks Lake to soak my tired feet. I ran into a fly fisherwoman up there, and it turned out we'd actually passed each other hiking in the Tetons. She was a local and we exchanged hiking stories and bear lore.


Soon after I entered the Teton Wilderness, which I would remain in until the day after tomorrow when I entered Yellowstone National Park. I was treated to a beautiful sunset and met a handful of southbounders and flippers along the way. I sat down and ate dinner by a stream with two guys who I can't remember their trail names, but I could tell they were good people. I walked a few more miles until about 8:30 and setup camp just south of Buffalo Creek.



No comments:

Post a Comment