Saturday 22 August 2015

Day 116: First Full Day back on the official CDT

Mileage: 31.5 miles (2160.6-2192.1)

I got a later start after the rain had kept me up a lot of the night. It wasn't pouring, but steady enough to create a constant pitter-pattering on my tent. It was a cloudy and quite brisk morning as I descended towards where I'd cross I-15. A couple runners huffed and puffed up the hill, all seemingly in great shape - to me, that meant a trailhead must be relatively near as they were all in spandex shorts and short sleeves, while I still had on my gloves and down coat. I wished I could run with them, without my pack, of course. I think running is one of the things I miss most about my normal life. Sure, I could jog with my pack, but that is just painful and you don't feel the same freedom of just running. Sipping in the cool air as your heart rate rises, sweating, and moving your limbs quickly. I don't do too much of that. Slow and steady, that's all you can do if you want to hike 30+ miles each day.


I talked to Laura for a bit on the way down to the interstate on the dirt road. It's getting harder and harder even though we'll be able to see each other sooner with each passing day. It's just so much patience and waiting - just like this trail. Lately, I've really felt I'm ready to be finished. I've been out almost 4 1/2 months and every part of my mind, body, and spirit is tired. Not only am I tired but I think I'm a bit starved for human contact. I'm a social person, and though I like to be alone at times, I don't like to alone all the time. And I haven't hiked with anyone since southern Colorado, which is a really long time.


I did happen to checkout the CDT Facebook page today when I had a spot of service and saw my buddy Commando is going to be up in Helena tomorrow to finish his hike north to Glacier. I'm not sure how many times he's flipped around, but all I know is the last time I saw him was in Chama, NM after me, him, and Karma had stayed in the abandoned cabin together during a blizzard.


We texted and are planning to meet in Helena and go north together. It will be nice to have company. The rest of my day was spent mostly on forest roads, up and down, sometimes on trail for a change. I'd miscalculated the mileage and think I won't make it to Helena tomorrow, but on Monday instead. Hopefully I can get Commando to wait and my body will be ready for it all. My new shoes, though they are the same model as my previous three, have been hurting my feet, maybe just a mix of breaking in and overuse. I might need a zero in Helena. We'll see. 


I'm camping under the stars tonight in a grove of pines a few miles past Champion Pass. I was treated to a great sunset and the first sprawling views of the day, albeit a little constrained by the smoke. Nonetheless, a beautiful way to end the day. Me and the cows.


No comments:

Post a Comment