Tuesday 14 April 2015

Day 3: To Highway 81

Mileage: 28.1 (45.1-73.2)

There were vultures circling me when I sat down for lunch under the only tree I'd seen in nearly 60 miles of hiking. I guess when most things sit down in this country they don't get back up. I sure didn't feel like getting back up either sitting in the only shade for miles and more than ten to go before I found the next water cache box on Highway 81, south of Hachita, NM.


It would be the flies that got you before the vultures though. They are ever swarming around anything foul smelling, including CDT hikers. If you did succumb, they'd go after your mouth and eyes first, since that's where the moisture is. That's what I was imagining anyways, as I sat down inhaling my cold mashed potatoes and beans. It was cold because my fuel bottle leaked and I needed to conserve fuel.


At this point I'd already walked 18 miles and my feet were hot and sweaty, steaming when I took them out of my shoes to give them a bandana wash. This consists of getting the bandana just wet enough so you can clean the sand and dirt off your feet and in between your toes. I'm sure this sounds disgusting but it's the best way to make sure feet stay clean and blister free when you're short on water.


Prior to my bandana wash, I had met two other hikers, Boston Bones and his friend, headed northbound. As you might guess, Boston Bones was from Boston, and had a pretty heavy accent. The other guy was younger, maybe my age, but he gave me both he real name and trail name, which confused me so I forgot them both. They were first people I'd seen in a 36 hours and it was nice to make small talk.

When I woke up I didn't plan on hiking close to 30 miles, but it just sorta worked out that way. The problem was that I was only eight miles from the nearest water cache when I woke up, and 28 miles from the next closest. I don't really like to sleep dry (e.g. not near water) and I had already hiked eight by 11am so I figured I'd press on. It was this logic that got me under the tree at four o'clock with the vultures circling.


Most of the day was on dirt jeep roads, which sounds bad, but actually many were covered in windflowers so it was quite beautiful. Hiking a jeep road is also a hell of a lot easier than hiking cross-country with every other plant trying to prick, poke, scrape, or otherwise stab you.


Though the last mile or two were a little painful, I made it to the cache by 7:15, just in time for sunset and to finish off the mashed potato slop. Just before I fell asleep I heard footsteps and saw a flashlight pointing at me. I was a little worried, but then realized it was border patrol, checking-in on me. I showed him my ID and we had a nice conversation. It would have been a great interaction if he hadn't let slip that "bodies and drugs" go through here every night and "to just let them know if I saw any footprints" Well, so much for sweet dreams. I think the 28 miles will put me to sleep.


Lots more cows today and also lizards. The fat cows can actually really run when they want to. Also, I forgot to mention I saw what I think was a horned frog last night.


No comments:

Post a Comment