Saturday 25 April 2015

Day 14: Back on the CDT

Mileage: 24.5 miles (249.9-274.4)

No rain last night, so was able to get some decent sleep. We got an earlier start, hiking by 6:45. As we walked up the dirt road we came upon a few elk drinking at the stream. They were all females and though they ran away they seemed more curious than scared as they paused and peered back at us from up the hill. They are really beautiful creatures, and have huge hooves! I also learned yesterday (...thanks to my Audobon nature app) that male elk have up to 50 females in their harem. I wondered what all the other bull elk do who don't have a harem? You imagine there must be 49 males out there for every one that has a harem, right?? Anyways.


Natty and I had a lot of ups and downs today, with some big climbs up some unnamed peaks. We reached close to 9000 feet and definitely felt the elevation in our breathing. Natty was a champion once again keeping up with me, especially in one section where I was really pushing to reach the next water source (...which turned out to be a cow pond). We did two 24+ mile days in a row, which each were a record for him on the CDT!) 


After one last climb up Wagontongue Peak we sharply descended and had some great views of the Gila National Forest below. We were pretty parched and still had a long way to the next water but luckily found a spring, about a quarter mile off trail. It was just a pipe sticking out of a rock with a very slow trickle so it took us about 25 mins to fill two liters of water. After that we setup camp, talking about different routes we might take and all the food well eat in town.


I might hitch in to Reserve tomorrow with Natty so I can get some hot food. We realized the only restaurant in Pie Town (the Pie-o-neer cafe) will be closed when I arrive Tuesday and I really want a hot meal. It's a shame because the pie is world famous. I might call tomorrow and see if they'll deliver to the place I'm staying in advance. Anyways, raining again tonight so Natty in with me one last time. Hopefully it won't rain too hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment