Wednesday 15 April 2015

Day 4: To Crazy Cook and the Border

Mileage: 25.5 (73.2-98.7)

It never felt so good to be woken up in the middle of the night. Well, at least when I realized it was border patrol both times. After the "drugs and bodies" comment last night from the border agent it was comforting to have them coming to check up on me ... at least I imagined. They literally cruise the desert up and down with a spotlight. It's kind of nuts how much resources must go into it - 300 border agents are stationed in Lordsburg alone - if only we could have some of those funds go to the Forest Service so they could maintain the CDT!


Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but man the first 12 miles today were brutal. Not only was there no trail (which is typical on the CDT), but the route they designated must of gone up and down 30 different arroyos. The arroyos are basically steep sided creek beds that come off the mountains. And if it was just that I'd say ok. But on top of that, there must be 15 different plants that want to either poke, scrape, cut, or downright stab you and they liked to grow on the steep parts especially. And then there were the rattlesnakes. I nearly stepped on three different snakes, one of which was perched on a rock right on the side of the arroyo I was coming down. Now I can deal arroyos, or sharp plants, or rattlers, but all three simultaneously seems a little bit much! 


Anyhow I made it through by noon but was so exhausted I took an hour at the water cache rehydrating and scarfing down some granola. Thankfully, the 2nd half of the day was mostly on jeep track so that made it easier going in the afternoon.


And I almost forgot, I made it to the Crazy Cook monument, which is the official starting point of the CDT and on the US-Mexico border! Since I did it this way, I get to walk to Mexico and Canada, which is pretty cool. Now I just hope I can catch the CDTC shuttle tomorrow morning and get back to town for some hot food and a shower!



No comments:

Post a Comment