Saturday 4 July 2015

Day 73: Fourth of July Zero in Breckenridge

Mileage: Zero

Well, I've taken a lot of zeros lately, but who wants to spend the 4th alone? And what a good Fourth of July! It didn't start out great as I was up around 5am, unable to sleep for whatever reason. After messing around with my phone for 45 minutes I finally was able fall back asleep, this time until about 8am. I laid in bed for awhile and then headed downstairs to see who else was up. I found Clare on the couch reading her book and she told me there was toast and bagels in the fridge. I made myself some toast with peanut butter and banana and sat on the couch with Clare.



Jim and her folks weren't up yet, so we chatted some and I grabbed Jim's computer so I could put some new music on my phone. The rest of the gang got up over the next hour or so and they were poised to take a hike up to a lake nearby. I wanted to hang out with everyone, but definitely did not want to hike on my day off so I stayed behind.

I figured it'd be nice to give them some family time as well without the smelly thru-hiker. While they were gone I just lounged on the couch with my cup of coffee, updating my blog and reading the New York Times. In fact, when they returned a few hours later I basically hadn't moved except to make myself a sandwich around noon. I had sat out on the deck some, but the sun was so strong I decided I'd rather just be inside.



They had a great time hiking, maybe getting a little bit more than they bargained for. They came back with smiles and lots of good pictures so I think they had a good time despite being exhausted. After they got back, Jim and I sat around watching hilarious music videos from the 90's (e.g. Smashmouth, Alien Ant Farm, etc). I didn't even remember that they were making music videos back then until Join reminded me of TRL on MTV. 

After having my second lunch, me and Jim started watching "Better Call Saul", the spinoff from "Breaking Bad", which Jim had downloaded on his computer. It's funny because the series starts with Saul working at a Cinnabon in Omaha, NE. By the time the night was over we had watched the first five or six episodes - Jim kept saying, "well, we can't stop there!" In between episodes we squeezed in a wonderful steak dinner cooked by Clare's dad, also Jim, and watched some fireworks. All we had to do was walk down the road about 2 mins to a clearing and we had a wonderful view of the show. We could even see the flash of other nearby town's shows, which almost looked like lightning in the sky.


After a great show, maybe the first I'd seen where I was looking down on the fireworks, we headed back to the cabin and had some loaded banana splits. Jim and I watched "Saul" until nearly 2am - I think the only way I was able to stay up so late was we had some coffee before the fireworks. Somehow exhausted from a day of doing nothing, I fell asleep almost the instant I closed my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment