Tuesday 14 July 2015

Day 83: Roadwalk into Steamboat Springs

Mileage: 21 miles (1348.5-1369.5)

I woke up at 4:30am and saw stars so I decided to get moving after night of rain. I wrote a quick Facebook post asking if there were any trail angels in Steamboat, and a guy named Austin immediately responded, saying he'd be happy to pick me up at the pass. What a guy! There was a great sunrise, speckling the clouds with shades of pink, orange, and gold. 

As I went to charge my home so I could call Austin later in the day my battery pack shorted out. I was on 4% and it seemed improbable that it would last the few hours I needed to let Austin know when I was an hour from the pass.


I blew it off, angry at the battery that seemed so shoddy, and just walked down the muddy roads. The deep purple lupine was back in droves with the Colorado blue columbine. Mule deer dotted the fields, and also some cows. I pushed myself hard, trying to get to the pass by the time I told Austin, even if couldn't get ahold of him.

I cut a corner across a meadow to avoid a hill but then almost had to ford the at least waist deep Grizzly Creek - luckily found a beaver dam and crossed on top of that. I was happy to get on the highway and off the private property which was signed prominently off the paved road.

My phone died when I tried call Austin and I thought I was done for and would have to hitch into town. But, I tried turning it on a few hours later and it worked! I don't understand iPhone battery, but we arranged for the pickup around 11am.


I walked the paved roads all the way to highway 40, seeing a tent along the way, with muddy prints leading to the site. I wondered which CDT hikers these were....I'd followed their prints for miles, but had no idea who it was. I wasn't planning on waking them up either.


At Muddy Pass I met Austin and his adorable golden retriever puppy, River. We hopped in his pickup and River chewed on my hand the whole way into town.

After we stopped by his house and I took a shower we grabbed some food, Iresupplied, and sat on the couch while Austin took a nap. Another hiker, Delightful, also stayed at his house that night and brought some beers. We ordered a pizza and fell asleep watching "Dangerous Fish Monsters" or something like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment