Wednesday 15 July 2015

Day 84: Limping out of Steamboat

Mileage: 22.1 miles (1369.5-1391.6)


I sat around and drank coffee and played with River, the puppy, until a little bit before nine. He chewed on my fingers and toes like they were rawhide and I just egged him on, tossing him around tussling the fur around his neck. 

Then I got dropped off at gas station so I could hitch to back to the pass. Literally the third guy who drove by pulled over and asked where I was going - he said no problem. Sometimes it's just that easy. We talked a bit as we drove about hunting Elk and his home back in Denver and when he dropped me off we took a selfie together so he could show his wife.


I talked to Laura on the phone and the signal kept cutting out - the frustration of keeping in-touch was boiling over in our communication. Either I was out of range or she was busy. When we did get on the phone it would just be for a few minutes and half the time the signal was terrible. It just wasn't working very well, but we were trying our best.


I walked past a bunch of lakes with the classic blend of reds, yellows, and purple - the Colorado wildflowers. Nearing the Wyoming border I wouldn't see that combo too much longer so I tried to savor every meadow and vista.


I caught up with Lion King and his wife and ate lunch with them. We exchanged stories and swapped info about who was ahead and behind. The mosquitoes were horrific so I got moving pretty quick after I finished eating. I listened to music and Fresh Air with Terry Gross. Heading into Zirkel Wilderness I passed a guy who turned out to be a filmmaker as well. We talked a bit and then he asked if he could pray for me. I figure it couldn't hurt so I told him to go for it.

I kept moving but there was lightning up high so I decided to camp early. My right foot has really been bothering me and I might need to hitch back to Steamboat to get new shoes or otherwise take care of it soon or else I could be in trouble. 


I tried adding more support with gauze which kind of worked but now a different part of my foot hurts. I might end up with a stress fracture if I'm not careful. I should get new shoes ASAP. Maybe I can hitch out with Lion King's wife tomorrow if it's still pretty bad?


No comments:

Post a Comment